Looking for a horse gear for injury recovery or its prevention? Here’s a great solution, the Weaver Leather Athletic Boots. Having a comfortable design and providing a heat therapy feature, this product beats its 16 competitors with no probs.
Horse boots are vital horse tack equipment as it provides a variety of features as such boots bring more protection, safety, support, and shock absorption. Depending on what health condition you want to improve, the gear varies in its properties and designs. This protective garment is actively used in different equestrian activities and it is also easy to handle by beginners and expert riders.
Currently, you will find a huge range of horse boots that differ in materials used, aims, designs, and budget. Here we’d like to bring to your attention the 5 first-string horse boots your loyal companion might love.
Top 5 Horse Protective Boots Comparison
Weaver Leather Athletic Boots
Back on Track Horse Leg Wraps
Professionals Choice Medicine Leg Boots
Tough 1 Sport Boots Set
Kensington Horse Fly Boots
Best Horse Protective Boots Detailed Review
Depending on what equestrian sport you do and what your aim is, pick out the most suitable horse boots for your partner. And here are some decent options to choose from.
1 Weaver Leather Athletic Boots – Secure Fix Tack
The Weaver Leather Athletic Boots is a super soft horse gear made by a well-known equestrian manufacturer. Being made from neoprene, the garment is pretty stretchy and sits snugly. What a fascinating tack with a comfortable design that is easy to use.
- The boots are made with Ethylene Vinyl Acetate (EVA) that is highly elastic.
- The lining is made with neoprene that provides a soothing heat effect.
- The gear comes with a dynamic sling system that is easy to handle.
- Improved ends to keep the horse away from dirt.
The Weaver Leather Athletic Boots will definitely stand you good stead for long. They’re loved by their flexible and adjustable features so they will fit most of the horses. In addition, the garment comes in a huge array of color styles that will undoubtedly keep you in the spotlight.
- Strong velcro
- Super stretchy
- Shock absorbing
- Stitching should be improved
2 Back on Track Horse Leg Wraps – Solid Workmanship Gear
The Back on Track Horse Leg Wraps is a 5-star choice, hands down. The product reflects the horse’s body warmth and provides thermal heat so to soothe the horse. It comes with velcro straps to adjust the boots ideally. Such a great option if you need protective boots to avoid injuries.
- The boots are made with polyester and cotton materials that are durable and soft.
- They come with velcro straps to improve adjustability and fix the gear tight.
- The fully closed and sleek design prevents wind puffs.
- The heat therapy effect helps relieve muscles and joints.
The Back on Track Horse Leg Wraps is a fascinating soothing remedy for protecting your horse. It will be a good option for old week horses or those who’ve got swelling. The product comes in different sizes and colors so there’s a decent range of options for various horses.
- Soft materials
- Easy to wrap
- Improves swelling
- Poor velcro stitching
3 Professionals Choice Medicine Leg Boots – Super Stretchy Boots
The Professionals Choice Medicine Leg Boots come with front and back velcro straps to provide a super snug fit. This gear could prevent your companion from severe injuries during training and competitions. Due to the shock absorption and heat therapy features, these boots deserve your consideration.
- The boots are made with limestone-based neoprene material that is highly stretchable and comfy.
- The energy absorption peculiarity improves protection and balance immensely.
- Solid velcro straps all over the boots make them easy to put on / off.
- Because of the material used, the boots dry out very quickly.
The Professionals Choice Medicine Leg Boots is a wonderful pick for gaited horses. They provide a heating effect and stretch well to bring maximum comfort. What a great plus, the garment is available in 30 color styles for every equestrian taste.
- Keep the horse cool
- Improves balance
- Easy to clean
- Velcro is not so strong
4 Tough 1 Sport Boots Set – Air-Vented Boots
The Tough 1 Sport Boots Set is a tremendous tack gear for their great stretchable and breathable features. Moreover, due to the velcro improved design, the garment sits pretty well and snug. As well as the process of gearing up is easy as pie.
- The boots are made with perforated neoprene that improves the air-flow.
- The stretchy material used provides a sleek comfortable fit.
- The garment comes with three solid velcro closures to enhance the grip.
- The product is easy to clean as well as it puts on / off in no time.
The Tough 1 Sport Boots Set is another well-made horse tack gear that will bring your companion extra comfort and satisfaction. The product is popular for its stretchy and breathable design as well as a fancy look that is available in different vivid colors.
- Breathable fabric
- Easy to maintain
- String grip
- Lining may come off
5 Kensington Horse Fly Boots – Soft Fleece Tack
The Kensington brand offers great horse fly boots that can be used as solid protection from insects and dirt. The gear features a thick padded fleece lining to bring more comfort for the horse. So the garment sits well, strong velcro straps are provided to fit snugly.
- The boots are made with Textilene that is extremely durable polyester.
- Due to the material used, the gear provides UV ray protection.
- The lining is made with soft fleece to add more comfort.
- The gear comes with three velcro straps to improve the fix.
The Kensington Horse Fly Boots is an awesome tack gear if you’re seeking for protective boots when your companion is out on pasture. The garment is popular for its durable material used that protects from insects, dirt, and sunlight. It comes in a range of sizes and checkered colorful styles which is a plus.
- Stretchy straps
- Easy to clean
- Soft padding
- A bit pricey
- May loose over time
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Does My Horse Need Protective Boots?
Protective boots can be used in order to protect your horse’s limbs from injuries while riding. Especially in case of active motions when performing gaits, a horse may end up hurting his legs. Thus, horse boots have a shock-absorbing effect, which is a great perk.
Apart from that, you can also use horse boots while transporting your horse with a thick-padded design. And for those who are undergoing treatment, medicine wraps may come in handy to cover the wounds.
In short, horse boots have various fascinating features that can stand you in good stead in different situations.
What are the Main Types of Horse Boots?
In fact, there’s a wide range of options available on the market, so you’re able to choose the upmost product according to your needs. If you’re looking for horse legwear to satisfy a certain need, you should know which type of horse boots fits it best.
- Bell Boots are set around the horse’s pastern, and they cover the hooves. The gear is used to prevent a horse from hitting a though surface.
- Fetlock Boots obviously cover pastern and fetlock just above the hooves. Use them to protect your horse from hitting himself.
- Fly Boots are used to protect a horse from insect bites while they’re on pasture.
- Hoof Boots protect the hooves from being worn down over time.
- Knee Boots are used to enhance knee protection while they provide rapid moves.
- Polo Wraps are a sort of bandage, which is used to cover the horse’s legs while riding.
- Shipping Boots may come in handy when you need to safely transfer your horse (for instance, to the horse show).
- Skid Boots are designed to protect hind pastern and fetlock areas when performing rapid motions like stops and drifts.
- Splint Boots (Brushing Boots) are typically used for the front legs in order to protect a horse from hitting himself with a hoof.
- Sport Boots cover the lower limbs to protect a horse from hitting into a hard surface and getting bruises (great for dressage horses).
- Stable Boots are generally used for older horses. They are worn to prevent the legs from swelling after training.
What are the Materials of Horse Boots?
It’s taken for granted that different types of horse boots have various designs. The same goes for materials used for horse boots to hit specific needs. Modern horse boots and wraps may be produced with one of the following materials:
- Neoprene. It’s a budget-friendly material that is easy to maintain. However, breathability is not the best feature of neoprene boots.
- Leather. Such boots provide improved durability. They’re quite protective because of secure straps with buckles. But some horses may find it hard to wear.
- PVC (Plastic). The material provides more protection; it’s easy to handle. Unlike other fabrics, PVC is not so stretchy.
- Sheepskin. Some horse boots come with a soft lining like sheepskin and fleece to add more comfort and avoid friction.
- Gel. There are protective boots, which are made with gel soles to provide greater comfort and improve blood circulation.
How to Choose the Right Size?
Before purchasing horse boots, you need to take accurate measurements to find the best size. As different boots have various designs, you should follow the manufacturer’s guidelines on how to take measurements of a certain model.
Here’s an example of how to measure for hoof boots. You can check the width and length of the hooves with a regular measuring tape or ruler. In addition, it’s better to take measurements just after a barefoot trim.
First, measure the widest part across the horse’s hoof (the width). Next, measure the length by going from the buttress line to the toe of the hoof. Important, do NOT include heel bulbs in your measurement.
Besides, we do recommend you to measure each hoof separately, as the measurements may vary.
When do horse riding, not only rider’s equipment should be put on but protective horse gear have to be considered as well. When it comes to leg safety, especially during training and performance, firm and durable horse boots like Weaver Leather Athletic Boots are a must-have. This garment could prevent severe injuries due to its shock-absorption feature. Being usually made with stretchable materials, such boots may sit snugly and fit various horse sizes.
In addition, lots of manufacturers produce vivid color designs to perfectly match the rest of the tack gear such as a horse saddle pad and a bridle. So your companion feels comfy and looks fabulous for sure!
Image Source: equine-jogging-shoes.com, cavallo-inc.com.