Horses should be kept properly in various weather conditions, and a solid horse blanket may come in handy. Thus, 36 different horse blankets and sheets were tested, and 5 uppermost products get to our top list. And the Tough 1 Waterproof Horse Sheet takes the 1st place with its durable and waterproof design.
Tough 1 Waterproof Horse Sheet - Great Adjustable Rainsheet
- It’s made with solid waterproof nylon.
- Shoulder gussets improve flexibility.
- Double-buckle closure system at the front.
- The crossed belly harness improves the fixed position.
Horse blankets or horse sheets are designed to protect your horse from various weather conditions such as rain, snow, wind, and cold. Different materials used in horse blankets may stand you in good stead for sundry purposes and needs. For instance, such gear is helpful to control the temperature of your companion or just to cover your horse when he’s inside a stable.
Therefore, we’ve prepared a detailed review of top-class horse blankets that meet different needs. So your buddy can feel safe and comfortable at any time.
Top 5 Horse Blankets Comparison
Tough 1 Waterproof Horse Sheet
Weatherbeeta Comfitec Essential Combo
For Sensitive Horses
Kensington Protective Fly Sheet
Shires Lite Turnout Sheet
TuffRider Mesh Fly Sheet
Best Horse Blankets Detailed Review
Before you purchase the garment, check out the detailed review of tested horse blankets mentioned above. All of them have their own strengths and weaknesses that are worth your consideration.
1 Tough 1 Waterproof Horse Sheet - Great Adjustable Rainsheet
The Tough 1 Waterproof Horse Sheet is a tremendous option if you’re searching for a gear suitable for a rainy climate. It’s made with thick waterproof nylon, which is perfect for sudden rain showers. The product also features adjustable leg straps and crossed belly harness to provide more flexibility when the sheet is on.
The Tough 1 Waterproof Horse Sheet is a fascinating option to keep your horse dry and protect him from the wind for long. It’s made with solid nylon fabric, which is easy to clean and store. The blanket comes in a huge range of vivid colors and sizes, so you’re able to find the perfect match for your companion.
2 Weatherbeeta Comfitec Essential Combo - Extensive Turnout Protection
The Weatherbeeta Comfitec Essential Combo offers a great mix of a classy style and solid protection. The gear is made with firm polyester, which is waterproof. So you can use the blanket out of a stable with no probs. The product covers not only the back of a horse but also its neck, which is a great plus.
The Weatherbeeta Comfitec is a tremendous turnout blanket that is waterproof and durable. We love this garment for its full-coverage design, which helps your horse feel cozy for long. It comes in blue color with lots of sizing options that many equestrians will find it delightful.
3 Kensington Protective Fly Sheet - Resistant-to-Fading Cover
The Kensington Protective Fly Sheet is a marvelous cover, which may protect from various insects. So your horse can graze around with no worries. It’s suitable for different weather conditions, keeping your horse clean and dry. The gear is made of grooming mesh, which is water-, UV-, and fade-resistant, which is a great benefit.
The Kensington Protective Fly Sheet is a non-heat cover that protects horses from insects and dirt. It’s made with mesh fabric that is UV Protective, which is a plus if you live in a hot climate. The blanket comes with a wide range of color options and sizes, so you can pick the best product for your horse.
4 Shires Lite Turnout Sheet - Fancy Lightweight Blanket
The Shires Lite Turnout Sheet has a catchy design with its outstanding printing that will definitely keep you in the spotlight. It’s claimed as a waterproof turnout blanket that may come in handy on a rainy day. It features a breathable material that helps control the temperature of a horse, which is great for older companions.
The Shires Lite Turnout Sheet is a sturdy raincoat made with breathable fabric. It’s well-known for its fancy color designs that you may fall in love with. In terms of safety, the gear comes with front chest closures and belly straps to fix the cover properly.
5 TuffRider Mesh Fly Sheet - Extra Soft Protection
The TuffRider Mesh Fly Sheet is offered by a popular equestrian brand that is good at providing safety and comfort. The cover is designed with polyester fabric which is soft and breathable. In addition, the product features a shoulder lining to prevent friction. Apart from insect protection, the gear has UV protection as well, which is awesome.
The TuffRider Mesh Fly Sheet is a marvelous variant if you’re looking for lightweight fly protection. It features a soft design, front closure, adjustable straps, shoulder lining, and a tail flap to provide a convenient fit. The good comes in various colors and sizes to choose the ideal product for your horse.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why Do I Need a Horse Blanket?
Any piece of tack gear is made for specific purposes, generally, to bring more comfort and safety to the rider and their horse. And a horse sheet is not an exception. Horse blankets are designed for quite different needs, that’s why you can face loads of options on the market.
For instance, some blankets may be helpful to keep warmth in a cold climate. Old and sick horses wear blankets to help them regulate their temperature. Some sheets may come in handy to protect a horse from the sunlight and insects when the horse is out. Another product is good for grooming and avoiding excessive dirt. Hence, it’s up to you which blanket to choose, depending on your horse’s needs.
What Are the Materials Used for Horse Blankets?
As the purposes of using blankets are different, the range of fabric used is also versatile.
- Cotton – it’s a solid fabric that prevents the product from bleaching out. It’s quite lightweight and breathable, so cotton blankets are suitable for hot weather conditions. However, it’s not waterproof, so this is not the best option for rainy weather.
- Fleece – this fabric is a great variant for cooler climate when you need to keep your horse warm overnight. But if the quality is poor, there may be fabric pilling over time.
- Mesh – it’s another lightweight material that is UV protective, which is perfect for resting under the sun. Besides, the fly mesh is designed to protect a horse from insect biting.
- Synthetic – such fabric dries fast and is waterproof, so it’s suitable for cold and wet weather. On the contrary, synthetic blankets tend to have poor ventilation, so it’s not so good for a hot climate.
- Canvas – it’s rather breathable and durable, partially waterproof. But if you wet it, the blanket gets too heavy. Thus, it’s ideal for a dry climate.
What Are the Main Types of Horse Blankets?
There’s a huge array of horse covers available on the market, which are different in styles and purposes. So here’s a list of the most popular horse blanket types.
- Coolers. As the name implies, such blankets are used to dry a horse out faster. The garment features moisture-wicking fabric that helps to cool off properly. Typically coolers are made with cotton, mesh, wool, or fleece.
- Fly Sheets. The gear is designed to protect a horse from insect bites. It’s commonly used in warm seasons when horses tend to rest outside a lot. Most of the fly sheets provide UV protection to avoid overheating. Such cover is lightweight and breathable; mesh is a common fabric. Neck protection may also be included.
- Quarter Sheets. It has an unusual design as it typically covers the horse’s lower back. The garment is designed to be used as a cover at the very beginning and end of riding a horse. So the horse’s muscles are warming up gradually after he leaves the stable. So your companion feels comfy when he goes outside in the cold weather.
- Rain Sheets. It goes without saying that rain sheets keep your horse dry in rainy conditions. The waterproof fabric is used, which is lightweight, and it’s easy to clean. Mostly such cover is made with synthetic materials that are moisture-wicking and durable.
- Stable Blankets. Stable blankets may help your horse feel comfy indoors. Typically, they are not waterproof. The main feature is to keep a horse warm overnight. There are different types of stable blankets – from lightweight to heavy – suitable for various weather conditions.
- Turnout Blankets. They are worn when a horse is outside. Thus, such cover is commonly waterproof and provides free motions. Turnout blankets come with shoulder gussets, belly harness, leg straps, and tail flaps for better fixing and protection.
How to Choose the Right Size?
As there’s a wide range of horse blankets on the market, you should be aware of its sizing. Before you purchase a product, you need to take measurements of your horse properly. To do so, you’ll need a fabric measuring tape.
Every manufacturer provides its customers with its own sizing instructions. But generally, you’ll need to get measurements starting from the horse’s chest to the rear of his hind legs. Probably, you’ll need a helping hand to take measurements duly. Make sure that you choose the appropriate size as a blanket shouldn’t be too tight and too loose on a horse.
Hot to Pick the Right Weight?
Apart from color styles, purposes, and sizes, horse blankets are different in weight and thickness as well. This is a crucial aspect you should bear in mind when choosing a horse cover for sundry weather conditions and climates. To make things easier, here’s a useful chart below that shows you which blanket weight is appropriate for various temperatures.
To sum up, horse blankets and sheets are at the top of the agenda in terms of horse safety and comfort. Such gear can help you avoid discomfort in hot or rainy weather, control your horse’s temperature as well as protect from the sun and biting insects, when a horse is out of a saddle.
Thus, we strongly recommend you to check our ultimate guidelines to find out which type of blankets you need to meet your expectations. You can start with our winner, the Tough 1 Waterproof Horse Sheet, which is undoubtedly worth consideration. Look for a garment that is made with solid materials and include the protective harness.
Image Sources: doversaddlery.com, sstack.com.